Numerical Weather Prediction Scientist
Email your resume to email@example.com to apply.
WindBorne Systems is supercharging weather models with a unique proprietary data source: constellations of next-generation smart weather balloons targeting the most critical atmospheric data. Our long-term vision is to eliminate weather uncertainty, and in the process help humanity adapt to climate change, be that predicting hurricanes or speeding the adoption of renewables. The founding team of Stanford engineers was named Forbes 2019 30 under 30 and is backed by top investors including Khosla Ventures.
WindBorne is seeking a Numerical Weather Prediction Scientist to contribute to the improvement of weather forecasting and climate analyses. As a member of the weather team, you will incorporate WindBorne’s unique state-of-the-art weather balloon constellation observations into the most advanced weather prediction systems. You’ll work with our entire team of scientists, engineers and flight controllers to influence the collection and use of observations from start to finish, beginning with balloon flight and ending with insights to help consumers, businesses and governments adapt to changing weather and climate.
A balloon + flight paths from over 600 flights conducted by WindBorne
- Incorporate WindBorne balloon observations into numerical weather prediction systems to advance the skill of weather forecasts
- Effectively communicate technical results to scientific and business audiences
- Provide technical insight to WindBorne’s partners to demonstrate optimal use of WindBorne observations in established weather prediction systems
- Evaluate evolving data assimilation and weather prediction technologies that may lead to significant advances in weather forecasting
Skills and Qualifications
- A PhD in meteorology or atmospheric sciences or a Master’s degree with sufficient experience
- Experience running data assimilation systems such as GSI or JEDI and weather prediction systems such as GFS, WRF, IFS or MPAS
- Ability to refine and implement observation operators in data assimilation systems
- Expertise in display of numerical weather prediction output using python or similar software
- Scientific programming experience using Fortran and/or C
- Understanding of statistical techniques for verification of large forecast datasets
- Ability to implement workflows to produce weather forecasts on high-performance computing systems
- Ability to work both independently and cooperatively with others
Nice to have
- Experience using machine learning techniques to generate weather forecasts
- Ability to create continually-updating graphical web pages
- Understanding of weather prediction systems used by national meteorological centers across the world
We're dedicated to both mitigating climate change and helping humanity adapt to its effects as fast as possible, and you can be a part of our mission to make this global societal impact. If you like the idea of working on cutting edge technology, and working with a fast moving team, WindBorne is the place for you.
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Vision insurance
- Unlimited PTO
- Stock Option Plan
- Office food and beverages
Address: 858 San Antonio Rd, Palo Alto, CA.
This position is in person at California office or at our future Boston area satellite office.
What our hardware looks like
Photos taken in Svalbard, Norway, 78°N