Head of Business Development
Email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org to apply.
WindBorne Systems is supercharging weather models with a unique proprietary data source: constellations of next-generation smart weather balloons targeting the most critical atmospheric data. Our long-term vision is to eliminate weather uncertainty, and in the process help humanity adapt to climate change, be that predicting hurricanes or speeding the adoption of renewables. The founding team of Stanford engineers was named Forbes 2019 30 under 30 and is backed by top investors including Khosla Ventures.
WindBorne Systems is seeking a Head of Business Development to facilitate our government sales growth and help build and execute on a commercial go-to-market strategy. You will be responsible for identifying and pursuing new sales opportunities, as well as managing and expanding our existing customer relationships. You will work closely with our Head of Proposals and Capture for submitting to new opportunities as well as our engineering, manufacturing, and operations teams to ensure that our products meet customer needs.
We're dedicated to helping humanity adapt to climate change as fast as possible, and you can be a part of our mission to make this global societal impact. If you are thrilled by the idea of bringing cutting-edge technology to market at the center of business development, sales, outreach, and relationship management on a fast-moving team, WindBorne is the place for you.
A balloon + flight paths from over 600 flights conducted by WindBorne
Roles and responsibilities
- Be the primary point of contact taking our customers from initial engagement through relationship development, sale, contract execution, and upsell
- Plan and execute outreach campaigns to generate leads and break into new customers and agencies
- Manage our business development pipeline, converting leads to contracts through short- and long-term hands on sales execution
- Develop a deep understanding of WindBorne’s technology and how it can be applied to solve various government and commercial challenges
- Attend domestic and international trade shows and conferences, running demos and presenting WindBorne’s technology
- Work with other team members to develop grant applications, proposals, and other communication materials as necessary
- Work with business operations to ensure contracts are executed smoothly
- Work closely with founding team on commercial go-to-market strategy and product scoping
Skills and Qualifications
- Desire to get your hands dirty as an individual contributor
- Healthy obsession with winning
- Experience selling complex Software-as-a-Service products
- Strong written and communication skills, including the ability to talk about deeply technical concepts to both technical and nontechnical customer audiences
- Enough scientific & engineering knowledge to understand how our technology works and impacts weather forecasting
- Persistence and dedication in sales pursuits
- Desire to operate in a fast-paced environment and make tradeoffs between quantity and quality of work
- High level of proficiency with Google Suite (docs, slides, sheets, gmail, calendar)
- Experience working within a Digital HQ chat platform, e.g. Slack
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
Nice to have
- 4+ years of experience within the weather industry
- Experience working in business development at an early-stage startup
- Familiarity with government procurement processes
- Experience selling weather-related products or services to government agencies
- Experience demoing technical products
- This position requires travel up to 30% of the time to trade shows, conferences, and other customer events
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Vision insurance
- Unlimited PTO
- Stock Option Plan
- Office food and beverages
Address: 858 San Antonio Rd, Palo Alto, CA.
In person strongly preferred.
What our hardware looks like
Photos taken in Svalbard, Norway, 78°N